WeatherWool Fabric Samples
[Please Note: Fabric Samples are free, and no payment information is needed.]
Our Fabric is the basis of our company, and there is nothing else like it in the marketplace, and that is why we're doing this.
There are many people who sort of subconsciously believe they know wool, and think WOOL IS WOOL ... we dearly love to send Samples to those folks (and everyone else) because handling our Fabric, even small swatches, really helps people understand our company.
The Samples are small -- remnants from the construction of our garments -- but large enough so you can do a little testing, and compare WeatherWool to other fabrics. Among the performance factors people examine: fire/embers, water, softness against the skin, silence, toughness, strength, reflectivity, camouflage properties ... Some people will hold the samples up to a light to see how much light passes through.
We are happy to fulfill requests for WeatherWool Fabric Samples, and we definitely would like to know what you think once you’ve handled the Samples. We love to have WeatherWool Fabric compared to anything else.
Our Fabrics are the foundation of our products; starting with the extremely careful selection of the finest raw fiber, through shearing, cleaning and scouring, carding, spinning, weaving and finishing, the processing is completely customized to our unique specifications.
Normally, the Sample Pack includes all six of our Fabric/Color choices:
- MidWeight Fabric in Solid Color Drab and our own proprietary Lynx Pattern
- FullWeight Fabric in Solid Colors Black, Drab and Duff, and Lynx Pattern
Our MidWeight Fabric is about 14 ounces per square yard (473 grams per square meter) and FullWeight Fabric is about 19.5 ounces per square yard (661 gsm). Please be aware that others may label a fabric “24 ounce wool”, but usually this refers to a running yard of unspecified width … and so 24 ounce wool can actually be lighter than 20 ounce wool, if the bolt of fabric is wider. But anyway, weight is a poor indicator of performance … lighter fabric made from superior fiber and woven with excellence as the only goal can easily outperform heavier “run of the mill” fabric. We make our own Fabrics because no commercial offerings come close to meeting our specifications.
All our Fabrics provide luxurious and comfortable protection from the elements while being acceptable any social setting.
- Our proprietary Lynx Pattern is very effective natural camouflage and is very attractive in social and professional gatherings. Lynx Pattern is not perceived as camo except by those with military or hunting orientation
- Our Drab Color is similar to military Olive Drab, but we have added some Gray to flatten it out even more
- WeatherWool Duff (brown) Color blends with the duff -- fallen leaves and twigs of a deciduous forest – for which it is named
- Drab and Duff are "metamers" … depending upon the lighting, they can be hard to distinguish from each other, and this chameleon effect helps to make them hard to see in Natural settings
- With the possible exception of Black, all of our Fabrics are effective camouflage as they blend extremely well into Natural settings
The Sample Pack will also usually include a bit of Natural Mouton Lamb Fleece, which is used inside our Mouton Jacket, Mouton Vest, Mouton Hat, Hand Muff and Mittens. Mouton is a real pelt, leather included, and nothing like the synthetic stuff that is routinely called “fleece”.
WeatherWool engineers the best 100% American, pure wool Merino Jacquard All-Purpose Outerwear going, and we love to have WeatherWool compared and contrasted with any other outerwear, regardless of composition or manufacturer.
We offer No-Risk Field Testing because the “living room test” is good only for sizing. Real evaluation of outerwear requires experience in a wide variety of weather conditions and activities. And please wear wool base layers (or no base layers) under your WeatherWool. Any other type of base is less than optimal. We invite everyone to give WeatherWool a heavy-duty field-test … and get a 100% refund if not completely happy.
We look forward to hearing your impressions of the Samples.
THANKS for your interest in WeatherWool!
Best Regards --- Ralph, Debby, Alex, Denali
4 December 2018