People ask frequently: "What do you mean by pure-American?"
- Our wool comes from American Ranches
- The wool is processed completely in the USA
- All design and tailoring work happens in the USA
- All components of our garments (thread, zippers, buttons, fasteners, cord, snaps, tabs, backing, labels) are American
We don't mean our pure-American approach as a knock on anyone or anyplace. We simply decided, way back in the 2009 drawing-board days, that we would go completely USA. I REALLY don't want WeatherWool to be a fine-print company ... I don't want to be a company that makes claims and then dances around the exact meaning of some word or other. And WOW, when it comes to "Made in America" claims, there are companies that do a lot of dancing and embracing of technicalities.
Over the years, for pleasure and for the financial work that I used to do, we have traveled to lots of countries, met great people and had great times. And been really impressed with how many people have tremendous skills with English as a 2nd or 3rd language.
One other reason for our pure-American approach is that we hope to earn contracts with the US Military, which stresses American sourcing.
As a small, specialized company, we need to be very close to all phases of production, and I don't think we could make our garments anywhere else even if we wanted to. All of our tailoring and knitting actually happens within about 20 miles of our home.
Another question we get: "Are there exceptions to your pure-American approach?" We don't think so, but here are the closest possibilities, and we are definitely OK with all of them:
- Corozo Buttons are made in USA by US Button (our usual button suppliers) from the endosperm of the nut of the South American tagua palm. We have not used Corozo buttons in production yet, but we view US Button's American-made Corozo buttons as consistent with our philosophy
- Our website is built on the Shopify platform. Shopify is probably the largest provider of ecommerce sites for companies like ours, that don't want to hire fulltime web professionals. Shopify is a Canadian company (with a great story), but they are our web platform, not our product. And actually, Shopify maintains most of its physical infrastructure in USA
- There are friends and customers and Advisors of WeatherWool in many countries, and we are happy to receive their ideas about our products
- Some of the people who have tested WeatherWool are not Americans
Thanks for your attention! --- Ralph
5 July 2020