Basic Vest Sizing
Before getting into the size chart and the numbers, it's important to please remember the Basic Vest is somewhat unusual, because it can be worn "under or over", and that affects choice of size. It's not at all out of the question to wear the Vest to the beach, over bare skin. But mostly it will be worn as a 2nd or third layer over a base layer and a typical indoors-shirt. Or maybe as a second layer over a long-sleeve base layer. But the same people may also wish to wear the Vest sometimes over another garment, such as our CPO or Anorak, that itself can be an outer layer. The versatility is great but it does add make choice of sizing trickier.
NOTE: The tables below show the measurements of the Basic Vest itself (in inches and in centimeters), not the wearer. Why?
The easiest way to determine the size you should order is to measure a garment you already have that fits the way you want:
- The garment you measure should not be a knit, because knits are normally too stretchy
- Completely close the center front of the garment
- Lay the garment very flat on a table
- Measure across the chest, just below the armpits
- Double the measure across the chest, giving the actual chest size of your garment
- Compare the chest size of your garment with the sizes in the chart (inches or centimeters)
- If your garment measures 23 inches across the chest, you would order a size XLarge because the Large would is somewhat smaller than the garment that fits the way you want
- If you are between sizes, choose the larger size
Again, please note the measures in the charts below refer to the garment, not the person.
Sizes: XXS=Extra Extra Small; XS=Extra Small; S=Small; M=Medium; L=Large; XL=Extra Large; 2X=Two-Extra Large; 3X=Three-Extra Large; 4X=Four-Extra Large
As mentioned ... If you think you are in-between sizes, we suggest you go with the larger size.
Basic Vest Sizing in Inches and in Centimeters:
14 September 2023 --- Ralph