North Maine Double Jacket
The NMDJ is a new product ... a concept ... and we are in the design and development stage.
Once development is finished, this Jacket will probably be a bespoke piece ... that is, we expect it will be individually made-to-order. We have a few orders for the NMDJ now, and anyone who orders in time to be included in our initial production run (probably about 6-8 jackets) is guaranteed a price of $1350.
After development is finished and the first batch is being made, I'm pretty sure the ongoing price will need to be something like $1600, because we'll be making them one at a time. Tailoring costs are very high for individual pieces or small batches (small being less than about 24).
Basically, the North Maine Double Jacket will be the big brother to the All-Around Jacket. The NMDJ will have two complete layers of our FullWeight Fabric everywhere. The NMDJ will be a few inches longer than the AAJ. It may have a 3rd layer of wool over the top of the shoulders, back and chest. Right now, we are looking at making the 3rd layer removable, so it could actually be put over another garment, such as the ShirtJac or Anorak.
The NMDJ will be an extremely serious outer garment ... suitable for some of the worst conditions going. It will withstand unlimited snow, rain and sleet and severe wind. We are designing it for cold weather.
Here are some more of the basic design concepts:
- Lots of pockets, including a map pocket in back
- Constructed of WeatherWool’s own Rambouillet Merino Jacquard FullWeight Fabric
- Two-way, heavy-duty YKK Vislon front zipper allows any portion of the center front to be opened or closed
- Storm flap protecting the front zipper, secured by Slot Buttons. Should the zipper somehow fail, the storm flap enables full front closure. Of course, the storm flap enhances warmth of the NMDJ but also helps keep the zipper warm and free of freezing rain and sleet and snow
- Waist cinch inside the rear of the jacket. The cinch can seal out updrafts and/or create a waist if desired. The cinch will tighten only the inner layer of the NMDJ
- Front cargo pockets are closed with both zippers and flaps. The flaps are angled to shed rainwater and are secured with slot buttons.
- Large, side-entry handwarmer pockets are separate from and underneath the cargo pockets and nothing but pure wool to warm your hands
- Chest pockets inside the Jacket with zippered closures
- We are working on large interior cargo pockets. The interior cargo pockets will be in the space between the two layers of the NMDJ
- Cuffs can be adjusted via button-straps to snug around your wrist if desired
- Serious collar can be flipped up and secured by a hidden throat latch
- Three buttons on the back of the collar to attach the Double Hood (sold separately)
- Will be available in FullWeight Merino Jacquard Fabric in Solid Colors Black, Drab and Duff, and Lynx Pattern
We expect the sizing to be the same as the All-Around Jacket
30 July 2018